Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July 4th in Wichita

For the 4th of July weekend, we traveled North to Wichita, Kansas. Jason's grandmother and uncle live there, and his parents also came up, making it a nice holiday visit with family.
Our uncle said fireworks are illegal in the city, but that didn't stop anyone. Everybody shot off giant displays for an extended period of time. We parked at a strip mall, stood outside of the car and had a 360 degree show for well over an hour. I've seen the best fireworks displays in the country, including good old Las Vegas, and this blew them all away.
In addition, I soon discovered three food-related ways that Wichita is better than OKC.
  1. Quick Trip (y'all have 'em in Tulsa; we here do without)
  2. Carlos O'Kelly's (I hate to say it, but way more flavorful than Ted's)
  3. Village Inn (I had the crepes pictured below; Nutella and fruit. Unbelievable)
We spent some time cleaning the garage of clutter.
I came upon a box full of craft booklets from the '50's, '60's and '70's (Jason's grandma never crafted, so we don't know where these came from).
There are knitting, crochet, macrame, embroidery, weaving and more. I'll be bringing most of them to the supply swap at Downtown DIY on July 25th; make sure to attend if you want some!

In addition to being a habitual crafter, I'm also a lover of all things vintage. I'm having so much fun looking through all the awesome retro photographs.



Which brings me to this photo:

WTH?
"OK. You're going to model the sweaters while feeding peanuts to this squirrel. It will look cute and outdoorsy!" That is not awkward at all!

(please feel free to add your own captions)

6 comments:

  1. "Oh, it's so cold here, I need a turtleneck AND a pullover sweater."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the g(r)ayest squirrel that I have ever seen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that you guys don't have Quick Trips in OKC! That is my favorite convenience store. They always seem so clean and well-stocked. We should write them a letter! And those crepes look soooo good. I live within walking distance of a Village Inn, perhaps I need to take a little trip that way. I'm glad you had a fun 4th of July!

    The craft books are awesome. I love macrame, and the sweater picture is hilarious. You know how I adore squirrels, but it's even better with a couple of stepford housewives in the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, we have 1 and 3 here in Tulsa. QuikTrip is wonderful. I read before that you don't have them in OKC because of an agreement with another gas station chain, but I can't remember which one.

    The squirrel is very random, but I kind of love it. I also like how the woman on the right (white sweater) looks like a mannequin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice!
    The one on the right DOES look like a mannequin, but upon close inspection she was just really bad at posing naturally.
    Oh, who are we kidding?! None of these retro photos are posed naturally!

    I've heard that we don't have QT's because we have 7/11, but I'd gladly trade! QT's have sooo much more goodness!

    Holly - I knew you would appriciate the squirrel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe...love those models! Who doesnt love squirrel feeding in your home made sweater? the pancho ladies are super fabulous too :)

    ReplyDelete